Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Doughnut

I don't want to wish my life away but I wish this hospital stay was over. I want to be home already. I've been here for 9 days and at least another 9 days to go. I can not go home with home health care because of the dreaded doughnut hole.

Let me try to explain to the best of my ability the bureaucratic bull crap that dictates my life. Medicare part D will help pay for prescriptions until you reach about $2400. Then the patient pays the next $3000, then medicare will kick into gear again and will pay for prescriptions. The middle section where the patient pays for all the medication is called the doughnut hole and that is where I am stuck. I cannot afford to pay for my medicine, so now the system will wind up paying a bunch more money for me to stay in the hospital. Does this make sense?

No comments: