Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Great Escape

I've been on vacation. For over two weeks I have been in Florida. Our family was blessed when friends of ours offered us free tickets to Disney World, Epcot and Disney Studios. For two days we were in the midst of the Magic Kingdom. The weather was warm and breezy as we walked the pristine, clean streets with the castle in the background. We squealed with delight on the roller coasters, including the Aerosmith rock-n-roll coaster that went from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds. (I highly recommend it for my fellow adrenaline junkies). We had a good time of being together and having fun.

After Disney we travelled south. On Friday evening, the 17th, my friends hosted a fundraising event at Homestead Mennonite Church. It was a night of blessing; the worship was wonderful, the stories were funny and affirming. I felt so blessed. God has given me so many supportive people in my life. $10,000 was raised that evening. I am still in awe.

The rest of my vacation was spent talking deeply with old friends, basking in the sunshine and enjoying great adventures in the land of familiar. For two weeks I was sheltered from the reality of the heaviness of life. I was blessed with good health while I was gone and was able to briefly forget how sick I am. It was a wonderful trip that left me feeling refreshed and rejuvinated. I am thankful for the reprieve of the great escape.

No comments: