Friday, September 19, 2008

Journey update

I made it. I am done with the IV antibiotics. I got rid of my pic line yesterday. I am done with the oral antibiotics. My hemoglobin is low (8.1, normal is 12 -25) and my red blood cells are low. I started on some nasty tasting iron tablets. I will have my blood checked again on Monday. I hope to avoid a transfusion. I understand why I have felt like doing nothing for weeks. I hope my energy will return soon.

I went to Duke two weeks ago. In the past two months my lung capacity has dropped from 31% to 25%, statistically significant. However my oxygen level stays decent (in the 90's). If I can maintain a good Oxygen level with exercise then I will buy myself some time. If not, then they would like me to move to Raleigh, NC to proceed with transplant. I've been to pulmonary rehab twice so far. I can do half of what I used to do (20 minutes as opposed to 40 Minutes). My oxygen level has stayed high. I am grateful.

I recognize that I am not ready for transplant today. (Will I ever be?) I need to get my house in order, literally and figuratively. Where to start when it feels like I have so much to do? I think I need a nap.

1 comment:

Kimi said...

Keep up the good work. Your Father is faithful.