Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yoga

In the midst of trying to find life, figuring out how to live, getting my groove on, finding my bliss, et cetera et cetera ad nauseum - I am trying new things.  Today was yoga.

I don't speak the language of yoga so I'm not sure of everything that was going on.  At the beginning of class the instructor, a/k/a the yogi, said the intention of today's class was strength.  She said our goal is to listen to our body and stretch - going  to the place between easy and too hard.  That sounds like a good place.  I would like to visit there someday.  Today was not the day. 

Today I was a broken pretzel -  the big, hard kind from Pennsylvania Dutch land  that crumble when you bite into them.  All of the yoga poses were difficult and reminded me of how weak I am.  My body shakes with the effort of stretching.  My hamstrings are so tight they should be called pork cables.  My inner balance needs an alignment.   Perhaps pilates is the way to go....

2 comments:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I've never tried yoga but so many people rave about how fabulous it is.

I've done a few pilates exercises and found them hard. But that's the way of new things.

Trying zumba which my brain needed (the mental challenge of learning steps, feeling the rhythm, etc.) Focus.

I guessing you'll learn to love Yoga.

Amy Lizzy said...

I've been attending a "gentle" yoga class where each person is encouraged to work out the pose in ways that stretch but doesn't hurt. Hope you find something that feels right to you. Lately, yoga has been helping me.