Monday, September 5, 2011

Life in the ICU.

One of the things I hate most about this disease is the lack of control I sometimes feel. Yes, I admit it, I like to be in control, master of my domain, grab life by the horns and ride into a glorious sunset. Psh....not happening today. Instead of watching fire works with my family from my hospital window, I am headed to ICU. Major disappointment.


I don't like to be in the intensive care unit, it's so, well, intense. It's a place where very sick people go, a place where people go but sometimes they don't come back; for goodness sake it's a place without wifi.

I need to change medications, the one I was using, colistin, was wreaking havoc with my kidneys. So now I will try zosyn, a drug in the penicillin family which I am allergic to.

The process of desensitizing involves introducing the offending drug to the body very slowly. The nurse has to change the IV bags every 15 minutes for 2 hours, then every 30 minutes, each time adding a little more medicine over a six hour period. I am hooked up to a heart monitor with 5 different lines attached to various parts of my body. I also have two IV lines and an oxygen monitor connected. All of this makes going to the bathroom quite the rigamarole.

With questionable kidney function they have a need to collect and measure my pee. So I have to aim and shoot into a small container called a hat while simultaneously holding onto the various chords that are attached to me, this is very discombobulating. Think about an octopus on crack squatting over a can and you get the not so pretty picture.

2 comments:

Amy Lizzy said...

If one must be in ICU then wifi should at least come with the package! I'll be praying that zosyn will not stir up your allergens or wreck havoc elsewhere in your body.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Very vivid image! Sounds like quite the challenge - I am sure it must be discouraging.

Are you able to take your laptop into ICU and at least do some writing? sounds like you have some emotions to pour into a story.