Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Gift of Time

Time is a funny thing. We all have 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. When things go by quickly we see time fly. When we are on a trip we want to make good time and travel there faster. We feel stressed when we are pressed for time. Most of us don't feel like we have enough time in the day and we try to buy some time by prioritizing our schedule. Yet many of us let time slip away. We suspect things will work out in due time and we can rest in knowing that time will tell all things. Perhaps because of my ponderings one might think I have too much time on my hands.

I have been given the gift of time. Last Tuesday I returned to Duke University for my 8 week check up. In spite of recent hospital stays I am doing well. My pulmonary function tests reports that my decline has stabilized. The doctor is not convinced that doing a transplant at this time would prolong my life any longer then not doing one at this time. In other words he thinks we can get some more mileage out of my current lungs. The whole purpose of transplant is to keep me alive as long as possible. I like that idea. I've got things to do, people to see, children to be raised, a life to be lived. I cherish my time for every moment is a gift to be enjoyed.

No comments: